Saturday, June 25, 2005

Life and Death

My mother died a little over 4 years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever endured. I cried for a long time. My son Josiah was born 6 days ago. I laughed, I was overjoyed, I could hardly contain myself. Then I started to think of the pain this child would have to endure to live in this world. I thought of the heartache, sickness, and ultimately death he would be acquainted with. Then I was reminded of something I read once that a church father said a long time ago. He said "We should cry when some one is born and rejoice when they die". What the heck? That made no sense to me then. But now.... I get it. Life is hard and wonderful all at the same time. What joys we do have, we should enjoy them. When someone dies (in Christ) we should rejoice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 57:1
Meanwhile, right-living people die and no one gives them a thought. God-fearing people are carted off
and no one even notices. The right-living people are out of their misery, they're finally at rest.

Kris Barger said...

Wow nice verse, that says a lot.